Thursday, April 22, 2010

My favorite lure, and my most successful opener.



Any one of us will tell you what their favorite lure for the
Leech Lake Opener is, and I think most of them will say the
simple jig.

Over the past 36 years the jig has been my number one presentation.

Twenty years ago a new product hit the market, the Color-C-Lector.
Being a gadget guy by nature it intrigued me, so I bought one. I even
saw an In-Fisherman TV show where they where using the new
devise successfully.

Well I got into preparation for the opener full bore. Working for a sign company I had access to
unlimited amounts and colors of paints. During the weeks preceding the opener I painted almost
a hundred jigs of different colors, and color combinations. My wife wasn't to crazy to find me
baking these jigs in our oven.

When I dropped the Color-C-Lector probe over the side of the boat on opening morning it
read maroon and black, so I used a maroon and black two toned jig.
It worked, and I took the trophy that year.
Now over the years the performance of that device is questionable.
I still have it and it still works.
Since then I have developed my favorite colors for Leech Lake.
I like using the two/three tone colored jigs that are available anywhere
now. Chartrues/green/orange on sunny days, and the same colors
with black on cloudy days or at night. I also have always used a plastic twister tail or grub
on my jigs, in a complimentary color. I like to think that this gives a little more attraction and
bite softness to the lure. This year I will be trying some Berkley Gulp trailers.
Ok, getting to my personal best Opener. The last two years have been incredible, and I hope
this year will be better. Back in 1995 we were all fishing off Pine Point on Saturday morning
and what I've been told was a mud line that formed off the point. We killed them, I caught a
4.5, 5.0 and 5.5 in short order. As a group we had are limit by noon an Saturday the opening
day. The front came through Saturday afternoon and the fishing just shut down for the rest of the weekend.
I ended up with the Trophy, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, and all the cash.
Let's hope this 2010 Opener can be as good or better.

1 comment:

Jeff King said...

Man, I remember the 'color selector'. It was before the computer age and we were all so impressed with technology. This day and age I finally trust my experience and intuition way before a fishing machine. Thanks for jogging my memory....