Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Team Walleye the Begining

I thought that I would fill you all in on how Team Walleye was started. On
Memorial Day weekend of 1973, five of us; Scott Benson, Ron Edberg, Mark Mayerich, Mark Taylor, and Gary Ullom spent the holiday weekend at Leech Lake. We did OK. That trip inspired us to make the next years Opening Fishing trip at Leech Lake.

1974 was our first Opener on Leech. Scott brought his Glastron runabout, and I brought my Dads Alumacraft. We did'nt do to good. But it gave us the start
to continue our openers at Leech.

The next year we decided to get closer to the main part of the lake, so we moved over to Pine Point.

A few years later in the late 70's we had a trophy made, it would be passed
each year to the guy that got the biggest fish.

We never thought in those early years that this tradition would go on as far
as it has. 38 years, dam I'm getting old, but I'm loving every opener, and looking forward to the next.

No comments: